Coromandel harbour was named after the visit of the HMS Coromandel to the harbour in June 1820. The entire peninsula now also bears the vessel’s name. The name itself originates from India, where the Coromandel was originally built, and refers to the Indian south-eastern coast.
The development of port infrastructure on Auckland’s waterfront has been underway since 1851. The shores in front of the CBD were initially very tidal and this made loading and unloading cargo difficult.
By 1859 work had start reclaiming Commercial Bay in an ongoing process of reclamation which is still going today. A list of the reclamations, their dates of construction and sizes is shown below.
More recently proposals for ongoing port development into the Waitemata Harbour by Ports of Auckland have prompted protests and an investigation into other options by the Port Future Study. Options canvassed include constraining the port to its current footprint, allowing further growth or potentially moving the port to the Manuaku harbour, Firth of Thames or Muriwai.
Reclamations in Downtown Auckland
|1859||Commercial Bay between Fort St and Customs St||3.6|
|1973-74||Hardinge St to Patterson St||1.5|
|1975-77||Queen St to Albert St||3.2|
|1875-77||Nelson St to Hardinge St||2.2|
|1876-77||Albert St to Nelson St||4.7|
|1878-79||Graving dock site at bottom of Hobson St||0.4|
|1879 – 86||Queen St to Britomart Pt (railway station)||7.6|
|1884-86||Cool store and power station site||2.7|
|1886-1901||Freemans Bay Victoria Park||9.5|
|1904||St Georges Bay||0.9|
|190910||Northern wharf and approaches||1.4|
|1911-12||St Georges Bay||0.8|
|1913-14||Hobson St city Markets||1.7|
|1915||Graving dock site||0.4|
|1915-16||St Georges Bay||9.7|
|1916-19||East of power station||2.9|
|1919-23||Eastern reclamation No 1||7.0|
|1924||Princes wharf approaches||1.0|
|1924-26||Eastern reclamation No 2||5.9|
|1928||Eastern vehicular landing||0.2|
|1938||Viaduct basin Nelson St||0.5|
|1937-45||Bledisloe wharf approach||1.4|
|1937-46||East of Kings wharf||1.4|
|1940-46||Western viaduct basin, Pakenham St||2.0|
|1951-54||Jellicoe wharf approach||1.0|
|1952-57||Harbour bridge reclamation||7.1|
|1958-60||Base of Freyberg wharf||2.4|
|1969 – 73||Solent St||4.0|
|1970 – 75||Kings Bledisloe||8.5|
|1980 – 83||Bledisloe Stage 2||8.5|
|1989 – 90||Fishermans Wharf (Viaduct Basin)||0.2|
|2000 – 05||Fergusson Extension Stage 1||6.6|
|2005 –||Fergusson Extension Stage 2 (ongoing)||3.3|
The Story of the Hauraki Gulf is almost ready to go off to the printers. The designer Nick Turzynski has done a fantastic job of bringing all the images, the text, and the personalised stories together into a great looking format. I can’t wait to see it all the material professionally printed and bound.